Building record MDR13436 - St John the Baptist Church, Westfield Lane, Middle Handley, Unstone
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL OF EASE (Victorian - 1838 AD to 1838 AD)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1838 AD to 1838 AD)
- None recorded
According to White's Directory, a chapel of ease was erected in Middle Handley in 1838, principally by the Duke of Devonshire. It is a neat substantial edifice, in which Divine service is regularly performed by the rector or his curate. (1) According to Kelly's Directory, Handley had a chapel of ease, built in 1838, chiefly at the cost of William Spencer, 6th Duke of Devonshire K.G. with sittings for 175; divine service is conducted by the rector and curate of Staveley. Attached to it is a burial ground. (2) In 2011 a Design & Access Statement was prepared in support of the proposed development of the former St John the Baptist Church for residential use. This states the church was founded in 1838 and appears on ordnance maps dated 1876, the building ceased to be used as a church during 2007. When the document was produced the church had been vacant for a number of years. (3) There is a Church and graveyard situated in Middle Handley on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map c. 1880, presumably that referred to by White in 1857 and Kelly in 1912. (4) Modern maps show this building is still extant, there is no evidence to suggest it has been converted into a residence. (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 776.
- <2> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 409.
- <3> SDR21436 Bibliographic reference: Ka-architects. 2011. Design & Access Statement: Proposed Conversion of St John the Baptist Church. p2.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accessed 14/12/2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4062 7772 (73m by 53m)|
|Civil Parish||UNSTONE, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 23 2022 10:50AM