According to Kelly's Directory, there was a cemetery at Brimington of 4 acres, with two chapels, laid out at a cost of £4,500 in 1878, and under the control of the Parish Council. (1)
There are two mortuary chapels shown in Brimington Cemetery on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, not shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably those referred to by Kelly in 1912. The western chapel is Church of England, the eastern is Nonconformist. (2)
Modern maps show the two chapels are still extant. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 75.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3986 7307 (27m by 17m)
BRIMINGTON, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2017 2:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.