According to Bulmer's Directory, the Wesleyans built their second chapel in Whittington in 1894 from the plans of Mr. F. Blake, of Chesterfield, who produced a handsome Gothic edifice. It was built wholly of stone, from the quarry of Messers. Pierce and Hurst, near Darley Dale, and is seated to accommodate 280. At the rear is a commodious Sunday school. The total cost was £1,500, and the work reflects credit on the builder, Mr. John Sims. (1)
There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated in Whittington on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, not shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2)
Modern maps show this building is still extant and in use as a church. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 264.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3830 7501 (45m by 31m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 9 2013 11:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.