Building record MDR13481 - Christ Church, Sheffield Road, Stonegravels, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1869 AD to 1869 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, Christ Church, a chapel-of-ease to Holy Trinity Church, situated at Stone Gravels, was erected in 1869. It is a small edifice of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel and nave, with bell turret. (1) According to Kelly's Directory, Christ Church, Stonegravels, a chapel of ease to Holy Trinity, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, of the 14th century, erected in 1869, consisting of apsidal chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell: it was thoroughly renovated and decorated in 1889, at a cost of about £100, and a memorial window placed in the centre of the apse to the late Mrs. Bradbury, of The Lawn, Stonegravels: it has 160 sittings. (2) Christ Church on Sheffield Road is the sister church to Holy Trinity. The Foundation Stone of this church was laid on 5 September 1869 by the Venerable Thos. Hill B.D., Archdeacon of Derby, and consecrated on 20 September 1870 by the Bishop of Lichfield. The Church includes a number of stained glass windows and one to the side of the East window is of special interest. This depicts two soldiers looking at an illuminated crucifix and is dedicated to bandsman Thomas William Stubley (Sidesman of this Church) who was killed in action 16 May 1916. It is understood that the deceased’s family chose this design because a postcard bearing this image was found on their son’s body. The north wall of the Chancel contains an oak carved ‘Roll of Honour’ to the men of Stonegravels who died in the First World War and was erected on 24 April 1919. (3) Christ Church, Chesterfield was built in 1869 by S. Rollinson in an early English style. The north and south aisles were added in 1913-14 by Rollinson & Sons. At this time the nave was also extended westwards. (4) Christ Church is situated in Stonegravels on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (5) This building is still extant and in use as a place of worship. (6)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 63.
- <2> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 101.
- <3> SDR21440 *Internet Web Site: Holy Trinity & Christ Church Chesterfield. http://www.holytrinityandchristchurch.org/index. website accessed 04/01/2013.
- <4> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 56 illus..
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3852 7230 (39m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:13AM