Monument record MDR13482 - Methodist Chapel (Primitive) (Site of), Stonegravels, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1890 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, the Primitive Methodists erected a chapel at Stone Gravels in 1890, at a cost of £780, as a memorial of the Rev. George Booth, who for 21 years preached the Gospel in this and other circuits of the Chesterfield Primitive Methodist Connexion. (1) There is a Methodist Chapel (Primitive) situated in Stonegravels on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows a larger Methodist Chapel (Primitive) to the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map on this site, presumably the chapel referred to by Bulmer in 1895 replaced an earlier building. (3) Modern maps show the building has been demolished and replaced by a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. (4)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 64.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3843 7212 (44m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:13AM