Listed Building record MDR13487 - Rose Hill United Reformed Church, Rose Hill, Chesterfield
Type and Period (2)
- UNITED REFORMED CHURCH (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1960 AD? to 2050 AD)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Georgian to Mid 20th Century - 1822 AD to 1960 AD?)
Rose Hill United Reformed Church, Rose Hill, Chesterfield, built in 1822. 'According to White's Directory, the Independent Chapel, Soresby street, a handsome stone building, 60ft. by 42ft., erected in 1822, is surrounded by a burial ground, convenient school rooms, and vestry adjoins, and galleries were added in 1834, at an expense of £310. It will seat about 700 persons; the Rev. Robt. W Selbie, was the pastor.' (1) According to Bulmer's Directory, the Congregational Chapel, in Soresby Street, was built by the Independents in 1823, and enlarged in 1834 and 1860. It is a substantial edifice of stone, but without any pretention to architectural beauty. The ground floor is seated for 300 persons, and the gallery, which is carried round three sides, provides 250 additional seats. The chapel is adorned by a handsome organ erected by Brindley & Foster, of Sheffield, at a cost of £900. A mural tablet on the south wall is inscribed, "Chas. Shaw's charity, £100, 4% preference stock, Midland Railway, 1881. Dividends to be given to four poor people of this congregation half yearly. Dryhurst, Tapton, 1885." The adjoining burial ground is now closed. (2) According to Kelly's Directory, the Congregational Chapel, in Soresby street, was first founded in 1788; the present building, built in 1822, will seat 800. (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'ROSEHILL 1. 5169 (North Side) United Reformed Church (Formerly listed as Congregational Church) SK 3871 SW 1/18 15.7.71. II GV 2. "1822, Independent Chapel" on round stone plaque above door. Coursed sandstone. Band and parapet raised up in centre with piers, panels and capping. 2 storeys. 3 windows. Central stone doorcase with Tuscan columns and entablature. 8 panelled door with archivolt and impost bands. Plain semi-circular fanlight. Casement windows with mullions and engraved lintels. Side facade to Soresby Street has 6 windows, the 3rd and 6th round arched under gables and with keystones. 6th bay slightly advanced, door on ground floor with moulded architrave with floral medallions and cornice. Listing NGR: SK3812271208.' (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. 705.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 64.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. 101.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334706.
|Grid reference||SK 38122 71208 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 16 2022 2:01AM