Listed Building record MDR13488 - Catholic Church of the Annunciation, Spencer Street, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH (Victorian to 21st Century - 1854 AD to 2050 AD)
Catholic Church of the Annunciation, Spencer Street, Chesterfield, built in 1854. According to White's Directory, the Catholic Chapel, Spencer street, built in 1854, is a neat Gothic building, which will afford accommodation to about 1,400 persons. A house for the priest, and schools are to be added as soon as sufficient funds are raised. (1) According to Bulmer's Directory, the Catholic Church, dedicated to St. Mary of the Annunciation, is a substantial stone edifice in the Gothic style, and considerably enlarged about 20 years ago (c1875), at a cost of £5,000... Adjoining the church is the presbytery, erected in 1866. (2) According to Kelly's Directory, the Catholic church of the Annunciation, in Spencer Street, erected during the period 1854-1874, is a spacious edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, from designs by Mr Joseph Hansom, architect, London, consisting of chancel, lady chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, baptistery and the lower stage of a western tower; the stained east window was inserted in 1884, by W. P. Arkwright esq. as a memorial of his marriage, and there is another, placed in 1892, to Mrs. Lucas, of Hasland Hall: the pulpit, of Bath stone and alabaster, was erected in 1887: there is also a marble statue of the Sacred Heart, by Meyer, of Munich: near the centre of the church is a shrine, erected to the memory of Father de Wurtzburg, cousin of the Duke of Norfolk, who served the mission for 25 years: the shrine consists of a Carrara marble statue of the Virgin, with pedestal and steps of marble: there are 550 sittings. (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SPENCER STREET 1. 5169 Roman Catholic Church of the Annunciation SK 3871 NW 5/151 SK 37 SE 13/151 II 1. 1854. Architect Joseph Harsom. West end added in 1874. Coursed stone rubble with quoins and string courses. Tall towerlike west end with hipped slate roof and corner turret with short spire above a band of Gothic windows. West end has large window flanked by buttresses with 1, 3 and 1 windows above. Aisles have gabled windows. Porch and rear Chapel. Interior of imusiial design with aisles curving into centre, trefoil clerestory windows and narrow chancel. Listing NGR: SK3799671541.' (4)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. 706.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 63.
- <3> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. 101.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1088246.
|Grid reference||SK 37996 71541 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 2 2021 1:58PM