Monument record MDR13491 - Methodist Chapel (Primitive) (site of), Beetwell Street, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1848 AD to 1848 AD)
- None recorded
According to White's Directory, the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Beetwell street, is a neat brick building, erected in 1848. (1) According to Bulmer's Directory, the Primitive Methodist Chapel, in Holywell Street … was erected in 1881 to supersede an older one in Beetwell street. A stone removed from the latter perpetuates the memory of Jeremiah Gilbert. Who was the pioneer of Primitive Methodism in Chesterfield and neighbourhood. (2) The Primitive Methodists who had broken away from the Wesleyans in 1812 met a few years later in a cottage in Froggatt's Yard. Their first local chapel was built in Brampton in 1827 but in 1848 the growth in their numbers allowed a chapel to be built in Wyatt's Yard, Beetwell Street. In 1851 their Minister, Robert Parks, reported that 375 of their 700 sittings were occupied at evening services. (3) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated near Beetwell Street on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to by White in 1857, and the earlier building referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (4) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the building was still extant but no longer in use as a chapel. (5) Modern maps show this building to no longer be extant, the site is underneath the car park of the Police Station. (6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 705.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 64.
- <3> SDR20667 Bibliographic reference: Bestall, J M. 1978. History of Chesterfield. Vol. 3. Early Victorian Chesterfield.. p 84.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3838 7087 (17m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 27 2017 4:11PM