Building record MDR13492 - Primitive Methodist Chapel, Holywell Street, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1881 AD to 1881 AD)
- None recorded
According to Bulmer's Directory, the Primitive Methodist Chapel, in Holywell Street, a brick building in the Gothic style, was erected in 1881 to supersede an older one in Beetwell street. Attached to the chapel is a well-lighted and furnished Sunday School. (1) According to Kelly's Directory, the Primitive Methodist chapel, Holywell street, built in 1881, has 650 sittings. (2) There is a Chapel situated on Holywell Street on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 (3), on the site of a school, shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (4) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows the chapel to be in use by the Primitive Methodists, and had been extended to the south-east. (5) Modern maps show the building is still extant, it is now in use as a club. (6)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 64.
- <2> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 101.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3845 7134 (39m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 6 2022 10:08AM