Monument record MDR13509 - Boundary ditch, Hay Wood, Kedleston Park
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A linear ditch that was possibly formerly a woodland boundary ditch or defined an ancient division between the manors of Kedleston and Ireton. Its average width is 3.9 metres and the depth averages 50-60 centimetres. It extends from the saw mill track in a westerly direction along what was probably the edge of the wood, to the point where it crosses the former Ireton Road. At this point the ditch continues through the former meadows and turns northwards, crossing Blind Brook, before reaching the fence around Park House, at which point it is no longer visible. The east half of the ditch assumes a shallow rounded profile leading to a flat base. There is some evidence of stonework along its northern edge, which is indicative of a revetment wall associated with a ha ha ditch, although there is insufficient height for this to be a deer park boundary. Hay Wood is described in a deed of 1572 as being defined by a double ditch, giving a possible interpretation. However, the ditch appears to join with another ditch running between the saw mill and Kedleston Road, perhaps forming an extensive boundary between the manors of Kedleston and Little Ireton. A number of substantial oaks growing within or upon the banks of the ditch suggest that it may be at least 200-250 years old. During a site visit in 1989, it was noted that the ditch should be cleared of scrub vegetation and further planting prevented. (1)
- <1> SDR8881 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 80.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3115 4136 (792m by 160m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTON UNDERWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:21PM