Monument record MDR13511 - Hollow way, Hay Wood, Kedleston Park
Type and Period (1)
(Medieval to Jacobean - 1066 AD to 1612 AD)
Loading documents & images
A faint track can be seen as a shallow ditch or hollow way on the western edge of Hay Wood and the Long Meadow, running parallel with a modern wire fence. At its northern end the road turns slightly to the north, which is probably the bend in the road that can be seen on the c. 1721-6 map. It is the remains of the road that once branched off from the Weston-Duffield highway below the manor of Little Ireton, providing a means of access from the north into Kedleston parish. It is mentioned as a 'foote path' in a deed of 1612, leading to a line of stepping stones over Weston Brook. The road fell out of use after 1760, when the park was expanded. The ditch is c. 4.2 metres wide, and is defined on either side by low earth banks between 4 and 5 metres wide. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 83.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3112 4122 (148m by 292m)
WESTON UNDERWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.