A large area of ridge and furrow earthworks to the west of Kedleston Hall [SMR 21901], which extends up to the present Kirk Langley road to the west, almost as far north as Cutler Brook, and as far south as the Long Walk. Most of the ridges within this block are very faint on the ground, but they appear to have been ploughed on a north-south alignment, except for an area of east-west aligned ploughing to the southeast. Much of the ploughing in this area is shown as a number of simplified strips on the c. 1721-6 plan, indicating that it was still being ploughed in the early 18th century. Without further evidence, it would seem that this open field system was operated by the parishioners within the village. (1)
Unpublished document: Evershed, R (Allen Archaeology). 2017. Archaeological Evaluation Report: Geophysical Survey by Magnetometry on Land at Keddelston Hall.
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. pp 128-9.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3062 4083 (958m by 765m)
KEDLESTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2020 8:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.