A group of 15 ploughed strips can be seen within what was formerly known as Osmundgreave Close, orientated east-west and more or less straight on plan, curving only slightly to the northeast. They are well-defined under pasture, with a distance of between five and nine metres between the crests, and a height of 20 centimetres from furrow bottom to ridge crest. The length of the strips is up to 90 metres, although they have been disturbed to the west by later quarrying activity [SMR 27820]. The northern edge of this group of strips is defined by the boundary ditch extending up to Park House [SMR 27817]. The ditch is bounded by a southward-facing step 30-40 centimetres high, which may be a small lynchet. The earliest mention of Osmundgreave Close, referred to as 'Osmundmedwe', occurs in a deed of 1232, when it was leased out for growing crops. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 130.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3073 4134 (132m by 122m)
WESTON UNDERWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.