A number of 16th and 17th century deeds held in the Kedleston Muniment Room suggest that the area of rough grassland and scrub woodland immediately to the north of Cutler Brook and west of Hay Wood once former an area of open meadow ground in the manor of Little Ireton. This meadow ground was divided in to several closes. The area in question is bounded to the north by a boundary ditch [SMR 27817]. The ditch is abutted to the south by faint ridge and furrow ploughing orientated both east-west and north-south. To the south and west the ridges extend up to a low bank c. 50-60 centimetres high and 1.8 metres wide. It is almost certain that the bank defines the southwest corner of the Low Field and that the ridge and furrow ploughing is a surviving remnant within that former open field. The bank crosses a small spring mentioned in the 17th century deeds as dividing two meadows named Snapes Pringle and Pullet Meadow. The outline of this bank is similar to that seen on the c. 1721 plan. A second bank to the south probably defines the southern edge of Snapes Pringle, as is also indicated by the c. 1721 plan. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 171.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3100 4130 (319m by 215m)
WESTON UNDERWOOD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:20PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.