Skip to main content

Monument record MDR13540 - Kennel (ruins of), Hardwick Park

Type and Period (1)

  • (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1840 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The back wall and part of the partition walls of a building are visible at the bottom of the steep slope below the conduit house [SMR 215]. This, another building and two ponds below them are shown on the 1840 Tithe map. The buildings may have been kennels. At the time of a site visit in 1985, the walls were in bad condition, with rubble inside the building and nettles growing on it. (1) The 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 labels the building situated here as a kennel. The kennel is still in use in the early 20th century. The building is not marked on modern OS mapping [2013]. (2-4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Smith, L & Beamish, H (The National Trust). 1985. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire, East Midlands. p 17.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.



Grid reference Centred SK 4610 6360 (74m by 58m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3697

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 1 2015 4:15PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.