Monument record MDR13578 - Former Chunal Quarries, Chunal, Charlesworth
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Chunal Quarry was included in a report of a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the region. Referred to by Farey (1811). A series of roadside quarries of various sizes, largest of which is adjacent to the main road and contains the most evident face. The main complex of workings to the east comprise mainly dumps of flaggy material but only very small areas of exposed faces along the southern edge. Total depth of workings is around 7m. Flaggy material in the walls. The deep valley to the east is known as Bakestone Delph Clough (SK 058 915) - apparently bakestones were produced by digging for isolated blocks found near the base of the peat overlying bedded material (article on Glossop history). Also place name 'Worm Stones' nearby may be relevant. Geology is an Upper (relatively thin) leaf of Kinderscout Grit. Well, or irregularly bedded flaggy material. (1) An Old Quarry and two smaller quarries are shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) Modern maps show the quarries as being disused. (3)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 36, Quarry Number 10.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 27/02/2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0359 9128 (304m by 209m)|
|Civil Parish||CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 8:58AM