Monument record MDR13585 - Hardwick Hall Quarry A, Hardwick Hall, Astwith, Ault Hucknall
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2012 AD)
- None recorded
Hardwick Hall (a) Quarry was included in a report of a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the region. When the report was written in 1996 it was a working estate quarry for the National Trust. There was an application to extend the face. The geology is sandstone between Top Hard and High Hazels Coal. Mainly massive sandstone with a rather conchoidal fracture. Very sandy, presumably soft and friable. The stone is a buff/ orange colour. No clear evidence of any flaggy material. (1) A Quarry is shown in Hardwick Park on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) Modern maps suggest the quarry is still active, it is not marked as disused. (3) It is possible, by reference to the building accounts of houses, to locate the sources of stone as both great and small houses generally obtained their stone from within a three mile radius; often a quarry or quarries would be opened specifically to supply a building. The prominent buildings on the Permian scarp, Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Halls, obtained their stone from quarries opened specifically for the building work. Robert Smythson desiged Hardwick Hall for Bess of Hardwick as a large building with the revolutionary use of glass with work commencing in 1591. This and the earlier Hardwick Old Hall, a rebuilding by Bess of her brother's house of 1582-86, are both built of a Westphalian buff fine-grained sandstone, that below the Clowne Coal, quarried from just beneath the scarp off the drive up to the halls. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 47, Quarry Number Q21.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR21424 Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
- <4> SDR23342 Bibliographic reference: Stanley, M. 1990. Carved in bright stone: sources of building stone in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4547 6402 (82m by 101m)|
|Civil Parish||AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2015 4:15PM