Range of late 19th century buildings comprising a two-storey ancillary (possibly residential) building to the west, a two-storey stable building in the centre and a single storey, originally open-fronted, cart accommodation on the east side. All buildings are constructed in coursed coal measures sandstone with stone quoin and window details. Externally, the central stable building has a later inserted central window at first floor level, with four stable bays at ground floor level on the south elevation and an entrance through the cart shed. The roof is Welsh slate with raised lead ridges and a Dutch gable-style roof. The ancillary residential building to the west is 'L' shaped in plan with south- and west-facing stone coped raised gables with central ball and finial detail on the south gable. Windows and doors have been altered, possibly as the result of the later addition of the stable building. The cart shed to the east has a Welsh slate roof; the formerly open-fronted bays are now enclosed with glazing but the stone columns remain visible. Only the stable building has been inspected internally. It retains its original fixtures and fittings, with a detailed stone-tiled floor, panelled timber dividers topped with curved cast iron detailing and columns. The walls within each stable bay are glazed above the wood panelling with hexagonal ceramic tiles in turquoise. A timber hay-loft hatch remains above the south side stables. Part of the ceiling has collapsed in the south-west corner. The building is owned by North East Derbyshire District Council who lease it out on a short-term basis. In September 2012 the stables were used for storage. (1)
The buildings are not shown on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880 but were present by the end of the 19th century, as they are depicted on the 2nd edition. (2, 3)
By September 2016, the property had stood empty for several years and is currently boarded up due to vandalism, particularly to the windows. North East Derbyshire District Council currently intend to develop the property for residential purposes through Rykneld Housing. There is concern for the intact stable interiors. (4)
Unpublished document: Walton, L. 2012. Email re a possible candidate for inclusion on the HER.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Correspondence: Vernier, J (Dronfield Civic Society). 2016. Email correspondence re Manor Farm stables, received by HER Officer 27/09/2016. Email.
Photograph: Photograph Collection, Conservation & Design section, Derbyshire County Council. HER Images Files (Dronfield) - digital.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3493 7846 (42m by 26m)
DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2017 3:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.