Hardwick Hall Quarry (b) was included in a report of a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the region. It is a large old quarry used as the main source of sandstone for the two Hardwick Halls. It is quite open - a few trees- probably working until the early part of the century. It is sandstone, just below Clowne Coal, mainly massive - rather conchoidal fracture - of a buff/ ochre colour. There is very little flaggy material. (1)
Hardwick Park Quarry is a RIGS. The Quarry shows the upper bed of 2 rarely exposed sandstones above the two-foot coal is exposed in the quarry immediately below the Magnesium Limestone escarpment. The flaggy nature of the basal Magnesium Limestone beds can be seen in the escarpment immediately south of the Hall. They outcrop as silty Limestone flags with thin bands of light brown and red clay. (2)
An Old Quarry is shown in Hardwick Park on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (3)
Modern maps show the quarry as disused. (4)
It is possible, by reference to the building accounts of houses, to locate the sources of stone as both great and small houses generally obtained their stone from within a three mile radius; often a quarry or quarries would be opened specifically to supply a building. The prominent buildings on the Permian scarp, Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Halls, obtained their stone from quarries opened specifically for the building work. Robert Smythson desiged Hardwick Hall for Bess of Hardwick as a large building with the revolutionary use of glass with work commencing in 1591. This and the earlier Hardwick Old Hall, a rebuilding by Bess of her brother's house of 1582-86, are both built of a Westphalian buff fine-grained sandstone, that below the Clowne Coal, quarried from just beneath the scarp off the drive up to the halls. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 67, Quarry Number Q42.
Unpublished document: Mr L. F. Noe. 1993. Geology Locality Record: Hardwick Park Quarry.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 05/03/2013.
Bibliographic reference: Stanley, M. 1990. Carved in bright stone: sources of building stone in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4617 6337 (99m by 106m)
AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2015 4:16PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.