Riddings House, off Church Street, Riddings, built in 1820.
'Riddings House is a well-proportioned Regency building of 1820 possibly designed by John Welch of Derby, with alterations and additions a decade later by Francis Octavius Bedford. It is three by four bays in size, with a low hipped roof and was built for James Oakes of Derby who purchased the estate in 1818 from Lancelot Rolleston of Watnall, Nottinghamshire. It is said that the house was completed in only 18 months, although the service wing in its present form was added in the 1860s, probably to the designs of Giles & Brookhouse of Derby. The Oakes family sold the house in 1982, after which it was converted into a retirement home.' (1)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 45 SW RIDDINGS CHURCH STREET (north side)
4/47 Riddings House (formerly listed as No 10) 29.3.82
House and coach house, now old people's home. Early C19, with late C19 additions and alterations, converted c1970. Coursed squared sandstone, ashlar and red brick with stone dressings. Hipped roofs throughout, those to house of Welsh slate and those to former coach house of plain tiles. Original house of 3 by 3 bays, extended by single bay to west, then with large billiard room and tower added to north-west corner, coach house beyond to west. Mostly two storeys. Entrance front to main house has plinth, raised quoins and plain first floor band. Central C20 panelled door with plain overlight below flush lintel flanked by 2-pane sashes, with three 12-pane sashes above. All windows with raised wedge lintels, incised with voussoirs and keystones. South, garden front has added bay to left with large glazed doors, three full height 2-pane sashes to right and four 12-pane sashes above, all but doors below similar lintels as those to entrance front. First floor band to three right-hand bays. Raised eaves band. Corniced brick ridge stacks. Rear elevation with three 2-pane sashes to ground floor and three 12-pane sashes above, all below incised wedge lintels. Advanced 2 bay addition to right of rear elevation has similar openings, band and quoins. Beyond to right is the billiard room which has deep rusticated stone basement with inserted C20 doors to left return and tall single storey above with raised quoins, plain eaves band with bracketed cornice over to hipped roof with large glazed central lantern and corniced side wall stack. Front has two paired 2-pane sashes in quoined surrounds with keyed segmental heads and rusticated central mullions. Similar paired sashes to left return. Beyond to right is a red brick square tower with stone quoins and plain stone band to first floor. Ground and first floors blank. Above, a hipped slate roof with wide bracketed eaves which has square glazed lantern to centre under hipped leaded roof with square clock tower over. This has clock-faces to all sides below gables and small leaded spire. Attached to right is a C20 glazed screen which links to the former coach house or red brick with hipped roof and brick ridge stacks. Glazing bar sashes to both floors below plain stone lintels. Interior of original house has grand late C19 staircase with landing with elaborate iron balustrade, carved oak newel and marquetry treads to stairs, lit by central lantern. Painted and moulded hall and landing cornice. Billiard room has richly carved pitch pine panelling, painted cornice, coved timber ceiling, marble fireplace with mirror overmantel and carved window surrounds. The house was built and extended by the local ironmaster, Oakes, who also developed the village of Riddings, see Ridding Farm (qv). Source: F Nixon 'Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire', 1969.
Listing NGR: SK4304352849.'