A house of 1886. Built by the engineer Samuel Claye (d. 1887) and occupied by his brother Frank Claye JP. Later occupied by the lace manufacturer William Whiteley. The house is built of red brick with sham timber framing beneath a plain tile roof. The front elevation is asymmetrical. To the left is a gabled range with an oriel window at the first floor. To the right is a smaller gabled range with a projecting timber porch. Extensions to the rear (including a large two-storey range) were added in the late twentieth century. They are not of special interest. (1)
Modern maps show this building as a home for the aged. (2)
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/68.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4936 3320 (47m by 37m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.