Tintwistle Mill was built in 1777 by Thomas Thornley of Padfield, who sold it to Thomas Rhodes & Sons of Tintwistle in 1834, who immediately changed the mill's name to Rhodes Mill. In 1857 Thomas Rhodes went into partnership and the firm became Rhodes & Armstrong. The mill became known as Paradise Mill. The mill was much smaller than Vale House Mills. Manchester Corporation took over the mill in 1864, where it became unoccupied, before being submerged in Bottoms Reservoir 100 years after it had been built. It is now situated in Bottoms Reservoir, opposite the quarry from which much of the stone was used for the stonework construction of the reservoirs. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 86, illus p 87.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0321 9737 (164m by 159m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2019 12:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.