Bottom Lodge Mill was built in 1795 by John Turner. The business was continued by his son William until owned by John Winterbottom in 1834, a cotton spinner from Tintwistle. The Mill housed 21 Carding Rooms, 5 Spinning Rooms and 4 Weaving Sheds. Power was provided via its goit to a waterwheel 22ft in diameter. It also possessed a steam boiler. The mill changed hands in 1851 when John Winterbottom Jnr took over. Slater's Directory for 1855 names the owner as Bottoms Lodge Mill Company before it was bought by Manchester Corporation Waterworks Committee. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 86, illus p 87-88.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0251 9705 (174m by 176m)
TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.