Building record MDR13760 - Arnfield Mill (site of), Arnfield Lane, Tintwistle

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Situated about half a mile north-north-west of Tintwistle on the Arnfield Brook, this was a small country factory of 0.31 acres and had a goit, lodges and gasometer. It was built by William Buckley in 1828 for cotton spinning and manufacturing. It changed hands in 1834 when bought by John Robert Hull of Arnfield Hall. Bagshaw's Directory of Cheshire, 1850 reads: Arnfield is a small hamlet, three-quarter miles north of Church at Tintwistle, here calico printing was formerly carried out, but the premises are now unoccupied. A Manchester Waterworks Committee report, dated 1867, reads: 'The Committee have purchased the premises called Armfield Mill'. By 1954 the mill had been completely demolished. (1) Ruins are shown near Arnfield on the Ordnance Survey 25" first edition map of c. 1880. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 86, 88, illus p 89.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0149 9784 (116m by 134m)
Civil Parish TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 22 2017 4:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.