Woolley Bridge Mill, or Lees Mill was situated on the east bank of the river Etherow. It was built and owned in 1825 by Henry Lees for cotton spinning.. The mill's name was changed to Henry Lees & Son when the son came into partnership with his father and 6 years later Robert Lees was the recorded mill owner. After 53 years ownership the Lees sold the Mill to George Fawcett in 1881, who changed it to basket and skip manufacture. In 1890 the mill became an ironworks, when it was purchased by Roberts Bros & Co. In 1903 it became a dye works. The curtain went up in 1908 when part of the mill became the Woolley Bridge Variety Palace. In 1912 it became a cinema before final closure in 1925. The mill had become mostly demolished in 1953, with only the chimney and one part of the mill remaining. (1)
Modern maps show the mill has been fully demolished. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 113, 115, illus p 115.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 02/05/2013.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0096 9573 (67m by 68m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.