Samuel Shepley built Brookfield Mill in 1818 for cotton spinning and weaving. The mill was bounded by the Hollingworth to Glossop Road, a fairly large mill of 1 acre, situated in the easterly angle of the confluence of the Glossop Brook and the river Etherow. When the mill goit channel was being reconstructed a stone coffin, in which a Roman Soldier was buried, one of a garrison at the adjoining Roman fort, was found [SMR 6103]. When Samuel died in 1858 his sons John and William continued the business. A large part of the mill was destroyed by fire during the winter of 1911-12. A Belgium firm refurbished the mill but production did not materialise. By 1940 Brookfield Mill had been demolished. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 115-117, illus p 116-117.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0110 9521 (133m by 131m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.