Shepley Mill with mill pond was built on the Glossop Brook in 1784 as a cotton spinning mill by the Shepleys of Charlesworth. By 1819 there were two buildings there. Successive mills on the site were burned down and rebuilt. The final mill was of the 1870s and ran intermittently until closure in 1937. It suffered partial collapse in 1954 and was finally demolished in the 1960s. Its site is now partly occupied by the Central Methodist Church. (1)
The mill lease for Shepley's Mill, dated 20th October 1784, was first granted to John Shepley of Glossop. The mill was situated on land south of Shelf Brook. The mill ceased to function in 1851. (2)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2001. Extensive Urban Survey: Glossop. Archaeological Assessment Report.. p 18.
Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 137.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0315 9399 (106m by 131m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.