Monument record MDR1377 - Mandale Rake and lead mine, Over Haddon
Type and Period (5)
- WINDING CIRCLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAKE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1280 AD to 1900 AD)
- COUNTING HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARN (Victorian to 21st Century - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
Mandale Rake contained many of the lead mines dewatered by the Mandale Mine engine and is marked by disturbed ground. (2) Mandale Mine, remains include part of an old engine house which had a Boulton & Watt engine, and an aqueduct which took water from the river to drive the wheel of the pumping engine. (4). Mandale Rake - Pasture rake complex wherein is the site of the litigation of 1284 to 1288 which was responsible for a Quo Warranto in 1288. This resulted in the first setting down of Derbyshire mining laws and customs. (8) Lead mining complex including a large 19th century gin circle with a high surrounding wall (gin race), and a reckoning house now used as a barn. (9). This is the only surviving stretch of large hillocks and hollows on this historically important rake. There is also a well-preserved 1820s mine reckoning house, Mandale Rake is documented as active in the 1280s and the late 16th century. (10).
- <2> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <3> SDR4740 Article in serial: Rieuwerts, J. 1963. 'Lathkill Dale - Its Mines and Miners', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 2. pp 9-30.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Mandale Mine, 1963.
- <5> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p45.
- <6> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. p11.
- <7> SDR13555 Bibliographic reference: Rieuwerts, J. 1988. A history of the laws and customs of the Derbyshire Lead Miners.
- <8> SDR12694 Personal Observation: Rieuwerts, J. 1988. Pers. Comm..
- <9> SDR19250 Unpublished document: English, E & Wilson, J. 1991. A Field Survey of an Extensive Part of the Civil parish of Over Haddon in the Peak District of Derbyshire. p31, No. 185.
- <10> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site 77, pp 106-107.
- <11> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 538.2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 18912 66434 (768m by 267m)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2014 2:31PM