Monument record MDR13786 - Whitelow Mines, Green Lane, Bonsall Moor
Type and Period (1)
- LEAD WORKING SITE (Tudor - 1540 AD to 1549 AD)
- None recorded
Whitelow Mines (west) are well-preserved hillocks on a series of small veins with many capped shafts. In parts small workings are continuous and the lines of veins not obvious; here the mining developed on rare mineralised cellular blockwork joints in the limestone. One shaft lies on a small hillock-top dressing with a shelter wall and possible rectangular ore-dressing pit. A nearby hillock has a small stone-lined buddle. Another shaft has a shelter wall and a further example is walled round. There is also a possible pond. The area east of the lane has been extensively reworked but has ecological interest. Whitelow Mines (east) has been extensively reworked for gangue mineral in the mid 20th century leaving large opencuts, new hillocks and access tracks. While the lead mine interest has largely been removed, the exceptions being a few small hillocks and two capped shafts, the site is one of the best surviving examples of gangue working where the site has not been subsequently landscaped. There are two abandoned cranes on site which date from this period. The Whitelow Mines are documented as active in the 1540s. (1)
- <1> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. 103 (west), 104 (east).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2547 5819 (893m by 625m)|
|Civil Parish||BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||IBLE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2014 10:11AM