Monument record MDR13793 - Whitfield Quarry, Cliffe Road, Whitfield, Glossop
Type and Period (2)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian - 1800 AD to 1811 AD)
- FIRING RANGE (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1920 AD)
- None recorded
Whitfield Quarry was included in a report of a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the region. There are three adjacent small quarries and another nearby at SK 037 931. The first three are c3-7m deep and overgrown and part filled in. Bounding walls are of very flaggy material. The fourth has a higher face - modified recently to accommodate new housing. This area was one of very few in the Glossop area which was outside the Norfolk Estate - this may have been a factor in opening up the site. Referred to by Farey as Whitfield in Glossop. The 1887 Geol Memior states p47 south-east of Whitfield - closely grained sandstone "yielding a beautiful building stone in parts" - "very micaceous splitting into excellent flags." (1) There is a series of Quarries and Old Quarries situated near Fieldhead shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880 also shown is a Quarry off Hague Street, Whitfield complete with a sand mill. (2) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows a miniature rifle range situated in the southern most quarry. (3) Modern maps show a few earthworks from the northern most quarry exist, the separate quarry off Hague Street has been used for a housing development. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 82, Quarry number Q59.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0381 9322 (377m by 275m)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2015 2:53PM