Monument record MDR13800 - Bond's Quarries, Chesterfield Lane, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Bond's Quarry was included in a report into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. This quarry has only massive rock. 50m x 40m. Chatsworth Grit. (1) An old quarry is shown off Chesterfield Lane on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 names the quarry as Bond's Quarries. (3) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century shows the quarry as disused. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 97, Quarry Number Q78.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2793 6636 (145m by 71m)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2013 2:02PM