Monument record MDR13801 - Wragg Quarry, Chesterfield Lane, Beeley
Type and Period (2)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Wragg Quarry was included in a report into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. It is a long curving cut in horizontal ground towards the north. Recent tipping including tarmac. Water too deep to see the bottom. No slate or flags. Chatsworth Grit. (1) Wragg's Quarry is shown situated on Chesterfield Lane on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. Shown within the quarry is a Smithy. (2) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century shows Wragg's Quarry as disused. (3)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 98, Quarry Number Q79.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2814 6627 (188m by 240m)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2017 12:09PM