In 1780, the rebuilding of an earlier house apparently took place. There is an etching of this earlier house, and charters dating to the first half of the 13th century have been taken to refer to a house on this site. (1)
A photographic survey of the building was carried out in 2013. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
SK2168 NORTH CHURCH STREET 831-1/4/143 (South side) 07/01/70 Chantry House (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH LANE (East side) Chantry House)
House. Medieval origin rebuilt c1780. Deeply-coursed sandstone and limestone rubble; Welsh slate and concrete tile roof. L-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with cellar. 4-window range to entrance front and 3-window range to right return facing North Church Street. Entrance front: bay 3 has part-glazed 6-panel door in porch with trellised front and swept leaded roof. Projecting stone sills to ashlar surrounds: 8/8 sash to left of porch and two 6/6 sashes over. Bay one has 2-light, square-faced mullioned windows with 4/4 sashes. Bay 4 with 8/8 sash to each floor; arcaded plaque to gable; ashlar copings. Stone end stack on left; ridge stack; rendered stack on ridge behind bay 4 gable. Rear: irregular masonry with C17 panelled door now painted and partly glazed. Right return: rubble limestone with battered plinth and large quoins. Steps at left end and winding steps with iron handrail to doorway on right. Large tripartite sashes with glazing bars cut through a chamfered string course; a Medieval carving of what appears to be a horse's head projects from wall above. Tripartite sash and 2 4/8 sashes to first floor. INTERIOR: chamfered, quoined entrance to arched cellar. Early C19 staircase with turned newel and square rods; earlier balusters to landing. HISTORY: an extensive documentary collection with owner indicates that the site at least has been associated with the priest engaged by the Chantry of Our Lady since the C12 or possibly before. The Chantry property can be traced through to the Dissolution of the Chantries in 1547 when Sir Richard Manners purchased the freehold. There are specific references to the house in C17 documents relating to the rebuilding of churchyard walls. In 1781 a major rebuilding scheme prompted the Society of Antiquaries to publish a drawing of the early fabric; this shows a house of the same form with mullioned windows and the suggestion of a round-arched doorway to first floor in the manner of a first-floor hall house; also shown is a gable plaque with chalice and missal framed by ancient lettering. (Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society: 1990-: 9-12; Collection of Archival Documents).
Listing NGR: SK2153768518.'
Article in serial: Meeke, E (Bakewell and District Historical Society). 1990. 'Chantry House', Journal of Bakewell and District Historical Society. No. 17, pp 9-12. pp 9-12, inc. illustration.
Unpublished document: Jessop, O (JESSOP). 2013. The Chantry House, North Church Street, Bakewell Derbyshire: Photographic Survey.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1245840.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2153 6851 (point)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 1:09PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.