Monument record MDR13824 - Outlane Quarry, Out Lane, Common End, Holmewood
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Outlane Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The site has been completely opencast. Small pile of flaggy sandstone in nearby garden. Thin sandstone between the Dunsil Coal and the High Hazels. (1) A Quarry is shown situated at Common End on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of the early 20th century shows the quarry as disused. (3) Modern maps show no evidence of the quarry. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 141, Quarry Number Q127.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4371 6503 (130m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2017 2:08PM