Monument record MDR13826 - Sheepwash Quarry, Shire Lane, Owlcotes
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Victorian - 1880 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Sheepwash Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. Part of a large outcrop of sandstone immediately above the Top Hard Coal which runs c. 1km north-west to south-west as far as Doe Lea. (1) A Quarry is shown situated south of Owlcotes on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, no evidence of a quarry on the 1st edition. (2) Modern maps do not label a quarry here but show earthworks. (3)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 149, Quarry Number Q135.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4417 6777 (100m by 82m)|
|Civil Parish||HEATH AND HOLMEWOOD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:23AM