Monument record MDR13832 - Puddingpie Quarry, Clodhall Lane, Wigley, Brampton
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Puddingpie Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. About 3 hectares of rather shallow workings overgrown with gorse. A barn on the opposite side of the road has a stone slate roof. Listed by Farey in 1811. (1) Quarries are shown situated to the west of Wigley on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) Modern maps only show a few remaining earthworks. (3)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 165, Quarry Number Q154.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3099 7192 (270m by 265m)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2017 3:31PM