Monument record MDR13834 - Bole Hill Quarry, Far Lane, Unthank
Type and Period (1)
- SANDSTONE QUARRY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
Bole Hill Quarry was included in a study into the potential to re-establish the roofing slate industry of the South Pennine region. Small grass covered mounds and workings around 1 hectare in area, no faces now evident. This may be the quarry referred to by Farey as Unthank West, near Holmesfield in 1811. However Unthank may be a 'gravel pit' at SK 302 752. Base of the Wingfield Flag Main Leaf. (1) A Quarry is shown situated at Bole Hill on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 shows the quarry had been extended. (3) Modern maps show no existing evidence of a quarry. (4)
- <1> SDR21454 Bibliographic reference: Hughes, T (PDNPA). 1996. The Grey Slates of the South Pennines, Volume Two: The Quarries and the Slates. p 167, Quarry Number Q 156.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2956 7463 (140m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||BARLOW, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 15 2015 1:00PM