Commercial building, built by 1938 for James Harwood, printer and stationer. Designed by Naylor Sale and Widdows. 2 storey, built of Portland stone and brick; flat roof with parapets. Main elevation (east) to Derwent Street is of 12 bays plus splayed corner. Pilasters with palmette capitals. Doorcase head has a wave-motif decoration. First floor sill panels with ribbed herringbone finish. Rear elevation is painted brick. Main entrance, set at an angle to Derwent Street, has Art Deco features but a modern ground floor entrance. Head supported by 2 fluted columns with palmette capitals. Soffit and reveals of window openings decorated with tudor roses. Stepped parapet to roof containing a clock face by John Smith and Sons of Derby in aquamarine mosaic, protected by a shallow pediment with fluted frieze and square cornice with key motif. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 15.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3550 3650 (33m by 51m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.