(Formerly numbered as 36 East Street) Art Deco style cinema designed by George Cole and opened in 1938; now used as a bank. Large, multi-paned steel windows in Portland stone facade. Stepped parapet with Egyptian motif (winged orb of Isis) above central window. Modern glazed shop front. The body of the building was a furniture warehouse originally and the older building was adapted and converted by Cole for cinema use. Literature: Goode, P., Film Entertainment in Derby (Matlock, 1985) 8. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 15.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3541 3608 (27m by 27m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2019 11:17AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.