Derby Co-operative Provident Society retail and office building designed by Alexander Macpherson. Work on the building began in September 1912 and was completed in February 1917. Stone detailing was carved ‘in house’ by the monumental masons of the Co-op Funeral Service. Interior included a large flamboyantly decorated and detailed meeting and dining facility, subdivided since circa 1990. North elevation to Thorntree Lane covered in white faience. Attic storey lit on north by a series of thermal windows. Literature: Unsworth, W. L., Seventy Five Years’ Co-operation in Derby (Manchester 1927) 85-86. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 15.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3543 3614 (51m by 35m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.