Built as Derby’s second RC church and re-dedicated to St. Maksijmilian Kolbe in 1984. Built circa 1896-97 by James Hart in a debased Gothic style. Red brick with a red tiled roof and 4 bay nave. Nave, transepts, sanctuary, north porch, baptistery, polygonal lady chapel, and lean-to roofed sacristy passage to north. Hexagonal tower to the north west of the entrance. West (gable to road) pointed arch stone doorcase within steep gable, engaged shaft above to support a statue, which has now been removed. Double lancet windows north and south with moulded brick jams and dripstones over. Stone sill course under two, stone dressed double lancets. Baptistry to south has lancet windows in moulded brick jambs. Nave has eight lancet windows, chamfered brick jambs, brick arch, stone keystone, and eight clerestory lights to the north. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p17.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3490 3504 (30m by 26m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2013 10:30AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.