Highly decorated classically designed public house, built in 1923, possibly to the designs of Thomas Harrison Thorpe for Pountain wine merchants. Heavy eaves cornice on brackets and larger dormers, one with triangular pediment over the entrance door. Three storeys with casement windows in carved architraves on the ground floor and sliding sash windows on the first floor and second floor dormers. Entrance door has a segmental pediment on consoles and terracotta plaque with ‘Hotel and Restaurant’. Semi circular window above enclosed by pilasters, all enclosing a panel with the White Horse of Hanover in terracotta. Terracotta pilasters on all sides. Formerly known as the White Horse Hotel, and there has been an inn on this site in existence since 1779. The rear original cobbled yard remains, off Thorntree Lane. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 24.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3546 3617 (25m by 24m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.