Two storey double fronted red brick Regency dwelling house with hipped roof with concrete tiles and ground floor stone canted bay window. Windows all original: vertical sliding sash with margin lights. The building has many later extensions because of later change of use, the last of which is a red brick tower of five storeys, which isn’t considered to be included within the boundary of the locally listed section of the property. The earlier extensions were made in 1852 and then in the 1860s to form a nurses’ training establishment. Statue of Florence Nightingale included, which is over the Trinity Street entrance door. The cast iron railings are nearly completely intact, on stone plinth. Sliding cast iron jalousies on the front elevation were made by Wetherhead, Glover & Co’s Britannia Foundry, Duke Street. Built after 1819 and by 1830 for the agent of the Castlefields estate, Mr Leech, who was later Mayor of Derby. It was named after Chetwynd Park, Salop., the estate to which the Boroughs of Castlefields retired in 1803. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 20.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3579 3559 (44m by 42m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2013 10:03AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.