Three storey large dwelling house, built in 1900, in a neo-Jacobean style. The square tower over the entrance has a balustrade and decorated ironwork, and stone plaque. Red brick with stone string courses, stone lintels and sills to casement windows. Red tile roof with elaborate finials on gables and dormer. 114 Blagreaves Lane, attached on the south side, is an early 19th century cottage to which the larger house was attached when it was built. 114a, directly behind No. 114, was added as a wing to the Towers in circa 1910-11 as additional accommodation for the opening of the Mary Wilkinson Memorial Home Making School and then separated in 1947 for use as a dwelling. 112 was originally named ‘The Paddocks’ and later renamed the Towers. From January 1938 to July 1939 it and No. 114a were used as accommodation for 200 pupils prior to completion of the Gayton Avenue School. In September 1939 it was requisitioned by the War Office and housed the RASC army food unit during the war until 1946. It is currently used as the Windsor Park Nursing Home. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 33-34.
No mapped location recorded.
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2013 11:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.