Much altered former dwelling house dating from the 1740s, built for the Dixies of Market Bosworth. Built on the site of Normanton Manor House,which was described by Woolley as in ruins by 1712. Brick with stone dressings and tiled roof, with gable end parapets with stone kneelers. Originally a three storey house with three bay south front under a low parapet; an additional matching bay was added to the right of the south front and a wing of four bays to the north in 1865-1870. Stone Tuscan porch with lamb motif added by John Goodall, a Derby solicitor who purchased the estate in 1819. Purchased in 1936 by the Borough Council in order to form part of Homelands Grammar School, built in the park. Windows all altered and a two storey flat roof extension added. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 54.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3486 3353 (24m by 27m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2013 1:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.