Church of 1920, built to the designs of J Sidney Brockersley of London. Rock faced stone church with tiled roof, of five and a half bays. Unusual mix of styles, with Italianate design, including campanile and Romanesque features, and rock faced stone more prevalent in neo Gothic churches. Nave with apse (ritual east, compass north) and aisles, campanile on the north east corner; porch with baptistery on the south side, and sacristy on the north west side, both single storey. The nave has five round headed windows on either side and plain glass quarries; apse, two round headed windows and stained glass; on the west side one round headed window, two rectangular windows, all with dressed stone surrounds. The bell tower has recessed panels and a doorcase with shouldered architrave with hood, and aedicule above to rectangular window. Round headed window to the east. At the bell stage of the tower are three Romanesque arched windows on each face, and the tower is topped by a tiled hipped roof surmounted by a cross. South porch has doors to the east and west, with a shouldered architrave to the west door. Baptistery has two rectangular windows with stained glass. Said to have fallen down when first constructed; current building is the reconstruction. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 54-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3501 3363 (18m by 31m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2013 1:35PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.