Former dwelling house, built circa 1825 as ‘The Moor’. By 1840 Thomas Osborne Bateman of the Hartington Hall family was resident. It was bought in 1888 by Col. Francis Arthur Whinyates of Chellaston and renamed the Moor House by him. When sold to the Carlin family in 1912 it was renamed as Moor Grange. In 1964 it was renamed again as Chaddesden Grange and given for use as a convent by the Catholic Carlin family. Red brick, with hipped slate covered roof. Ground floor central entrance is a tripartite pedimented portico in antis and recessed door. All windows altered, with plain haunched stone heads and projecting stone sills. A modern residential block was added to the north and the clock face from the demolished stable yard repositioned there (originally a turret clock by John Whitehurst II. Other minor extensions have been added. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 37.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3903 3860 (50m by 57m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2015 5:58PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.