Monument record MDR13993 - Pediment and Clock, Rail station north car park, Railway Terrace, Derby

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Pediment and Clock from 1893 station frontage. Two rusticated stone piers supporting a moulded stone entablature and broken pediment, two equatored ball finials topping the piers and a wyvern surmounting the pediment. The tympanum has tendrils and two wyvern in bas relief. In the centre is a clock by John Smith and Sons of Derby (converted to electric power 1976). Base is of red brick, with a two bay blind arcade of rubbed brick semi-circular arches, and pulvinated keystones. Dominant part of the frontage until demolition and rebuilding of the station in 1985. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 28.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3616 3572 (5m by 2m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 4 2013 11:23AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.