Monument record MDR14087 - Woodeaves Mill (site of), B5056, Fenny Bentley
Type and Period (5)
- COTTON MILL (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1857 AD)
- MANAGERS HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STEAM MILL (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1857 AD)
- STEAM ENGINE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1857 AD)
- LEAT (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1857 AD)
- None recorded
At Wood Eaves, near the Bentley Brook, is a cotton mill, worked by a steam engine of 16 horses power. (1) 'Woodeaves Mill (cotton)' is located here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. Is it apparently disused by the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. Only part of the mill appears to survive on modern OS maps, along with small sections of the former leat. (2-4) Fowkes  indicates that the former mill manager's house is still standing, but the rest of the mill has been demolished. (5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 450.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales. p 53.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1848 5039 (120m by 171m)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2013 3:00PM