Building record MDR14092 - School building at Richardson Endowed Primary School, Main Road, Smalley
Type and Period (1)
- SCHOOL (Stuart to Victorian - 1712 AD to 1883 AD)
- None recorded
In 1712 John and Samuel Richardson donated a property in Horsley Woodhouse and several closes of land, on trust that a piece of land should be purchased from the rents and a school house built within the township of Smalley. The yearly sum of £10 was to be paid to a schoolmaster for teaching 12 poor boys to read, write and cast accounts; and these poor boys were to be paid 8d per week a-piece for every week they should come to school. Seven poor boys were to be from Smalley, and the rest from Horsley Woodhouse or Heanor. In 1857 about 65 scholars attended the school, 28 of which were paid for through the foundation. There was also a school house with residence for the school master adjoining the school, which was built in 1721. (1) A school was founded in Smalley in 1712 by John and Samuel Richardson, who endowed it with land, most of which has been sold and the money invested in consols, the total income amounting to about £150 per annum. According to the original indenture, there was to be 36 free scholars, who were also to receive a certain weekly allowance payable quarterly. There are now  two departments in the school, a higher grade and an elementary. There are 36 scholarships of the annual value of £2 each open to boys from the parishes of Smalley, Horsley, Horsley Woodhouse and Heanor. A sum of money is also given to each boy on leaving school for work. The school premises were enlarged in 1883 to accommodate 200. There is an average attendance of 140. (2) There is a boys school situated on the Main Road in Smalley on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 the school building appears to have been extended. An additional school building has been constructed to the east on modern OS mapping . (3-5) Looking at Google Maps Street View , it is uncertain how much, if any, of the original 18th century building survives. A site visit is required to determine whether the school was completely rebuilt when it was 'enlarged' in 1883, or whether the older portion is situated towards the rear of the building. (6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 300.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 597.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <6> SDR20769 Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4077 4458 (21m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||SMALLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 1 2013 10:55AM